I've just had a VERY depressing morning, so I'm typing my way through it...
I would just like to say that it is NOT easy to stand up for your convictions! I've had to do this over and over again at work and once more again this morning. I do not work on Sundays & I never have. However, being a server makes this a big problem because Mother's Day & Father's Day are the busiest days of the year. It's always mandatory to work on those days. I've struggled each year to make sure I could find someone to work for me. For 8 yrs I've done this! Almost all restaurants require you to work Sunday morning or Sunday evening. This is the problem I came across this morning.
Let me give you the background summary...
For the last few weeks, I haven't been happy at the store I work. I've had problems with a certain server & the money has gone down by half - not because of the economy, but because they're hiring more people and we're over staffed. It's been a frustrating & a little depressing to come to work. So I had been thinking about my options & I decided to transfer to a different location. I had really thought it out & was feeling good about my decision. Monday was to be my last day at my location and then I would start at the new store. Well I went to the new location to talk to the GM there and he said that I had to work on Sunday! What!? I told him that I couldn't & that I had never worked a Sunday before. He told me he couldn't budge on that policy and I told him, "Sorry, but I can't budge either." He told me that I couldn't transfer unless I was willing to work on Sunday. I told him thanks, but I couldn't...
So now that leaves me back at my old location with my "tail between my legs" still depressed & broke. It's so FRUSTRATING! I know I did the right thing & I don't regret my decision, but it's still hard not to feel like a loser...
I stood by my convictions but it wasn't easy. Let me rephrase that, it was easy to take a "stand," it's the "aftermath" & feelings that are hard! When we have to stand up for what we believe in, I've always thought it was like a big stand on a battlefield (a one time triumph.) However, I'm learning that it's not a one-time showdown, but little small battles that we will be asked to do over and over again!
2 comments:
I'm sure that story will give your kids great strength one day.
Way to go girl. Remember the old adage "When God closes a door some where he opens a window." I am sure the windows of Heaven will be opened for you!
Post a Comment