12 December 2008

The Spirit of Giving...

The "Angel Tree Night" at work was a little disappointing for me. It wasn't because we didn't raise enough money or anything like that. We actually more than doubled our goal for the night by raising just over $3000! I guess for me, I was a little disappointed with the turn out we had. I thought we were going to be so full that we would go on a wait. We were definitely busier than a normal Monday, but I thought we would have more "call parties." We talked to so many people and even offered discount coupons for dinner to get people in the door! There were 14 servers who volunteered to work for free! That in itself is an amazing accomplishments and speaks volumes for the type of people who work at our store. Most of these selfless servers were boys in their early 20's. It makes me feel good and proud of the people that I work with!!!

Anyway, I guess my feeling was I wish more people would have donated a little, rather than a little bit of people donating a lot! Maybe my thinking is warped and I should be glad that we did well financially. But I wish more people would have been excited about the night. One of my "regulars" came in specifically to help out. They wrote a check for $1000!!!!! Hello! - LOVE them!

My night started out a little rough...My first table was pretty rude. One of the guys at the table had stopped eating so I asked if I could take his plate or get him a to go box and his reply was "I'll let you know when I'm finished!" What?!! I didn't go back to the table until he flagged me down. The next table I had was almost as bad. The bill was $96 and I told the gentleman I would be back with his change, which ended up being $14. He took back some of the money and left $10!!!!! Do people not get it? From there it got better and then my regulars came in and made my night. I ended up raising $1150, mainly because of Robert & Charlotte!

I don't want to give the impression that it was a bad night. I had a lot of fun and it was great to be able to make a difference, but my expectations may have been a little too high...

3 comments:

Angel said...

Aww! You were so pumped. You've got some great peeps.

John Phifer said...

I am so proud of Mary and the rest of our staff and volunteers! I love this time of year because we all tend to be a little less self-centered and focused on helping those less fortunate than we are!

Marina said...

Mary, maybe the 10 dollar tip was more than the 1000 dollar tip. Remember, the parable of the widow's mite? You just don't know.

Anyway, I would've came if I had been there. Love you and I'm glad you're willing to serve.